From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2020 7:18 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 working on motorboats - possible

On 6/8/2020 1:47 PM, Peter Kaletsch wrote:
> But how do I get a reasonably effective earth?
You don't need an "earth," you need a counterpoise.

VE0JS, who has sailed around the world four times on a 37-ft sail boat, loads
the backstay against a sintered bronze plate in the water. I suggest that you
do something similar for the vertical, and one or more wires strong along the
boat as a counterpoise. She has a remote tuner at the base; the feedline in
your boat will probably be short enough that you can use a tuner built into the
radio.

A bunch of us in North America have worked her from the south Indian Ocean on
40M. She's running an ICOM marine radio, SSB only, with no voice processing.
Check out her qrz page.

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to woyb10...@outlook.com