Von: Kurt Pawlikowski [mailto:ku...@pinrod.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 9. Juni 2020 03:16
An: Peter Kaletsch <pkalet...@kaletsch-gmbh.de>; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Betreff: Re: [Elecraft] K3 working on motorboats - possible

Peter,

     In general, any vertical works lots better with more radials. As fresh
water is a fairly poor conductor, the more the merrier!
Unfortunately, because most boats are wooden/fiberglass, what you can add
helps. I don't know if they have to be 1/4 wavelength (I've read yes and some
say at least 0.20 wavelength). For HF, this would be some serious lengths for
most boats! I expect you'd have to load them similar to the vertical element,
but I haven't read anything regarding loading
radials: It's just a guess. I suppose one could attempt to replicate, to some
extent, a solid ground plane with foil or some other conductor (maybe chicken
wire?). It would seem a lot of work (and probably is!).
If you're insistent on a vertical, it's a narrow field of variability.
Some of the portable antenna's can make loaded dipoles or verticals, which
would operate fairly well without a ground plane. Another option might be a
magnetic loop (which doesn't care much about "ground" per se.
It is affected by near-by conductors, tunes very narrowly, and is big (compared
to a mobile vertical). So, whatever you choose, it's all some sort of
compromise.

     kurtt WB9FMC