Jim,
you are right, too often we mean counterpoise and say ground.
Hopefully Peter can start doing his experiments based on our wisdom and
I'm curios what will work ok for him.
73 Gernot DF5RF

Am 09.06.2020 um 22:42 schrieb Jim Brown:
On 6/9/2020 1:21 PM, g...@gmx.net wrote:
anywhere then you either need a long vertical plus good ground as
mentioned already

WRONG. An end-fed wire needs a COUNTERPOISE, not a connection to
mother earth. A counterpoise is a low resistance conductor that
provides a return for the current and the field produced by the
"intentional" part of the antenna, and the counterpoise IS a part of
the antenna. Salt water IS an effective counterpoise because it is a
good conductor; fresh water is NOT, because it is NOT a good
conductor, so it burns transmitter power.

Likewise, a ground rod is a lousy counterpoise, because the earth is a
big resistor, and can easily burn much more than half the
transmitter's power. Radials serve as both a counterpoise and a shield
("screen" in British English) -- they shield the field from lossy
earth AND serve as a return for the current and the field.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to g...@gmx.net