Panadapters are helpful but not essential for CW traffic work.

The procedure for the better part of a hundred years has been ...

(1)  The receiving station always goes to the frequency directed by the NCS or
beyond if the directed frequency is busy.

(2)  Once the receiving station (not the sending station) has found a clear
frequency, he repeatedly sends the sending station’s call sign until the
sending station locates him.

(3)  Unless the above protocol is followed, neither station will find the other
and will be two ships passing in the night.

(4)  While previous generations of traffic handlers did not have to contend
with digital QRM, they did have to contend with CW QRM on bands many times more
crowded than exist today, and with receivers many times less selective.  The
above time-tested procedure shifts responsibility for finding a clear frequency
away from the NCS (where it does not belong) to the the two stations most
interested in finding one.

(5)  In a well-run CW traffic net, the NCS functions as a traffic director by
making judicious use of Q-signals specific to traffic work (there aren’t that
many) to insure net efficiency and accuracy.

(6)  National Traffic System nets are not social nets.  They clear their
traffic and secure.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV
Missouri Section Net Manager