> Eric Norris <norrislawfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know Elecraft is very busy finalizing the K4, but I wonder if they have a
> secret Tiger Team working on a response to the IC--705?  Perhaps a KX4?

Hi Eric,

I can't comment on any mythical beasts one way or the other. But I think the
existing KX line holds its own against the most likely competition, both old
and new.

Take the KX2. Relative to either of the Other Radios:

- it's 60% lighter / 50% smaller (i.e., it really *is* an HF HT)

- on battery power, it draws only 150 mA in RX mode vs. 400-700 mA

- has an internal battery with over twice the capacity (watt-hours)

- includes a built-in mic and keyer paddle

- provides nearly the same DSP feature set as the K3S,
  including text decode/encode/display in multiple modes

- has an extremely high-contrast LCD easily readable in bright sunlight
  (The Others wash out -- ask me how I know...)

...and perhaps most important:

- the KX2, like the KX3, has a built-in wide range ATU that will match
  anything from barbed wire fences to lightly salted snow.

SOTA and POTA and casual users alike have told us that these are the factors
that matter most in a portable rig. Those who also need VHF/UHF capability
typically carry an inexpensive dual-band HT for that purpose.

Disclaimer: IMHO. YMMV.

73.5,
Wayne
N6KR