Can't report on snow, seasoned or otherwise, but never underestimate the usefulness of a barbed wire fence.  I took my K2 to our Cal QSO Party expedition in Alpine County one year and use an old, falling down fence behind our camp connected directly to the BNC antenna connector through a short length of RG-58 and the ATU didn't even run more than a second or so.  Made a number of CW Q's from 8,550 ft.  We also used that fence as the counterpoise for a 160 Inv-L a couple of times.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County