Something else that worked real well with my KX2 at a hotel in Branson, MO a
couple years ago (OzarkCon QRP convention) was the hotel’s rain gutter. I ran a
short wire out my ground floor room window to a screw holding a bottom section
on.  KX2’s tuner clicked a couple times, 1:1 SWR and I was able to work all
over the US on 40 and 80 meters in the evenings.  Beat having to try getting a
vertical up exposed in the parking lot and probably worked much better anyway.

Jim, W0EB

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 2, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Fred Jensen <k6...@foothill.net> wrote:
>
> Can't report on snow, seasoned or otherwise, but never underestimate the
> usefulness of a barbed wire fence.  I took my K2 to our Cal QSO Party
> expedition in Alpine County one year and use an old, falling down fence
> behind our camp connected directly to the BNC antenna connector through a
> short length of RG-58 and the ATU didn't even run more than a second or so.
> Made a number of CW Q's from 8,550 ft.  We also used that fence as the
> counterpoise for a 160 Inv-L a couple of times.
>
> 73,
> Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
> Sparks NV DM09dn
> Washoe County
>
>> On 7/2/2020 6:36 AM, Jan Timmers wrote:
>> Regards;
>> John Timmers
>>
>> Hehe - lightly salted snow. Nice one
>>
>> 73.5 de VE7JBT :-)
>>

>>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 6:36 PM Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> - the KX2, like the KX3, has a built-in wide range ATU that will match
>>>   anything from barbed wire fences to lightly salted snow.
>>>
>>> Disclaimer: IMHO. YMMV.
>>>
>>> 73.5,
>>> Wayne