Hi folks,

Lately, I've been on the hunt for a 2nd receiver just for fun.  I'm
looking for Drake R-4B.  During this time, I've been wondering if I'll
want to put a full B-Line on the air or will just have an R-4B as a
backup RX.  The answer to that depends largely on how the R-4B (or A if
that's what I end up with) sounds & performs compared to the K2.

I continue to be impressed with the K2 receiver.  I'm wondering how it
compares to the R-4* receivers or any other non-DSP boat anchor classic
receiver from years gone by.  I've already compared it to an Omni V and
IC-735 and the K2 was better than either.  We won't even talk about how
much better the K2's RX is than the Century 21 or Century 22 :-)  I had
a very mint TS-830s but not at the same time as the K2 so I didn't get a
chance to compare them.

K2 vs. Drake R-4B; there are several things we know going in.  K2 uses
xtal filtering in the IF.  R-4(A,B) use LC.  K2 is single conversion,
R-4* is triple.  This suggests to me that the K2 will have better
rejection of off freq signals and a better S/N ratio.  Actual results
are TBD.

I'm sure at least one of you has a classic Drake or Collins rig that
you've had a chance to compare to the K2.  What say ye?

- Keith KD1E -
- K2 5411 -