Hi folks,

Lately, I've been on the hunt for a 2nd receiver just for fun.  I'm
looking for Drake R-4B.  During this time, I've been wondering if I'll
want to put a full B-Line on the air or will just have an R-4B as a
backup RX.  The answer to that depends largely on how the R-4B (or A if
that's what I end up with) sounds & performs compared to the K2.

I continue to be impressed with the K2 receiver.  I'm wondering how it
compares to the R-4* receivers or any other non-DSP boat anchor classic
receiver from years gone by.  I've already compared it to an Omni V and
IC-735 and the K2 was better than either.  We won't even talk about how
much better the K2's RX is than the Century 21 or Century 22 :-)  I had
a very mint TS-830s but not at the same time as the K2 so I didn't get a
chance to compare them.

K2 vs. Drake R-4B; there are several things we know going in.  K2 uses
xtal filtering in the IF.  R-4(A,B) use LC.  K2 is single conversion,
R-4* is triple.  This suggests to me that the K2 will have better
rejection of off freq signals and a better S/N ratio.  Actual results
are TBD.

I'm sure at least one of you has a classic Drake or Collins rig that
you've had a chance to compare to the K2.  What say ye?

- Keith KD1E -
- K2 5411 -
Keith     - I had an R4C and liked it alot.  However, it can't compare with
the K2 for receiver dynamics.  Unless it has the Sherwood Engr. front end
mods.  More important to me is the QSK with the K2.  The R4C used vox for
keying.  In my opinion, the greatest advantage to modern rigs is the QSK
keying.  Its like turning the lights on in a dark room.  And as far as
dynamic range goes, not only does the K2 have all the boat anchors beat, but
I think the K1 does also.  Recently, QST reviewed an old Collins and found
an IMD dynamic range in the low 70's.  The K1 is about  20 db better.
However, you will enjoy using the Drake.  Besides an ergo layout and  real
knobs, it has proper passband tuning (at the expense of several stages of
conversion)  and an analog S meter.  I may be thinking of of a K3 here.
73
Rick Dettinger
K7MW