Yes, two completely different animals.

I recently bought an Icom IC-7000, my friend Dale got one and if it's good enough for him it's darned good. My impressions so far are, Darned Good! But, which would I rather have out on the park here on our Thursday lunchtime get-togethers? Probably the K1 I'm building. Which is easiest to pull out of a backpack, throw a wire up into a tree, and work some CW from the bluffs overlooking Maverick's? Sure I can take the 7000 places but it needs many lbs of batts.

The original point was, Why was I able to hear so much more on my 817 than on my KX1? And I think the conclusion was that I'd not built my KX1 right somehow, and some testing with a decent sig-gen and seeing if it would meet factory specs would have shown me that. 73 de Alex NS6Y.