In a message dated 7/10/06 4:40:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> , they use such techniques to check if people
> in their houses have radios (or TVs) that they're not on record of
> having licenses for!

Bit of history:

Way back about 100 years ago, there was little or no regulation of radio - or
"wireless telegraphy" as it was known then.

With only a few short-range experimental stations on the air, there was
little need for regulation, but as radio technology and popularity improved,
the
need for rules was obvious.

Here in the USA, various legislation was proposed by the parties involved,
mostly the Navy and commercial wireless companies such as Marconi and
Telefunken. This was 1910, before the FCC, ARRL, broadcasting, or the Titanic
disaster
that resulted in much more comprehensive regulation of radio.

Their model was the telegraph legislation. Why not just extend the rules
written for wire communication to wireless? It had been done for the telephone,
why not for radio?

The proposed rules did not differentiate 'receiving station' from
'transmitting station'. The commercial folks liked the idea of licenses for all
stations
because it would help keep people from listening in.

A few interested amateurs/experimenters and organizations had gotten
themselves involved, however. One of them was Charles Stewart of St. David's,
PA,
representing the Wireless Association of Pennsylvania. He argued that there was
vast difference between wired and wireless, and that the 'waves come upon us
whether we bid them or not'. Also involved was the Radio Club of America.

Because of these efforts the legislators were convinced to only license
transmitting stations in the USA.

But the UK and most other countries had no Charlie Stewart, and they licensed
both receivers and transmitters. When Paul Godley went to England in 1921 to
listen for American amateurs on 200 meters, he needed a license for the
receiver. Since he wasn't British, he could not be issued a license, and a
British
assistant actually held the receiving license.

Charlie Stewart became 3ZS and was one of the founders and vice presidents of
the ARRL. He passed away in February 1936, the same month as HPM and Mrs.
Maxim.

St. David's is right next to Wayne, where I live. I think I have located his
house, too.

---

The use of "detector vans" is lampooned in a Monty Pyhton skit, in which a
man tries to obtain a license for his pet bee named Eric.

73 de Jim, N2EY