"Neither RST0; nor RST1; appear to clear the memorized settings so I suspect
the Utility uses another command.  Now I may have to find out what that is ....
 "

The  utility commanded reset sequence appears to be:

;
l;
eeinit;

KAT500 replies with its identity.

"EEINIT (Clear configuration and frequency memories, SET only)
SET format: EEINIT; erases EEPROM containing frequency memories, per-band
settings and all configuration selections, including the current RS-232 speed.
Configuration and per-band settings are formatted to default values during
restart after a microcontroller reset. EEINIT; does not change the KAT500
serial number or its fault table.
EEINIT; is ignored while the ATU is tuning or transmitting.
EEINIT is used by the KAT500 Utility Configuration page Reset to Factory
Defaults button."

I expect the KAT500 could be reset with a terminal emulator but that would
require KAT500 to be capable of receiving serial data input.  It seems very
unlikely to me that a serial port issue would be fixed by the reset, unless
caused by an incorrect baud setting.

73,
Andy, k3wyc