The next CW Academy class (Free) begins in April.  Check out CWA at:  <https://cwops.org/cw-academy/cw-academy-options/>

73,

Dave, W8OV  (CWA Advisor, Beginner & Basic levels)

On 2021-01-28 4:57 PM, Dennis Moore wrote:
Your missive is more timely than you could imagine.

I can call CQ on FT8 or SSB, not on CW. Sure, my K3 will send a perfect CQ via macro, indistinguishable from any other K3 sending a programmed CQ except the callsign. Problem is when someone comes back to me, if the decoder isn't working perfectly then I can't understand what's being said. That's definitely on me, and I acknowledge that.

I'm at 177 DX entities on CW, all through the K3 and either in contests or Dxpeditions. In both cases I know who I'm calling, I know when they come back with my call and signal report, and I know which KPod or N1MM buttons to push to complete the exchange. Conversation? Not if my life depended on it.

I'm over 120 countries on FT8/FT4 since Jan 1st and the pickings are getting slim. One JA or PY station is just like the other after a few thousand. With few Dxpeditions on the horizon and CW contests really not my cup of tea, yesterday I reached for the CW materials and plugged the key back in. It's time to do this on my own.

Whoever runs across me calling CQ on CW will have heard a rare bird indeed.

73, Dennis NJ6G
<snip>