Thanks for a great description Wayne.

Funny you should mention this. I was working in my ham shack/shop this past Monday, with my brother doing some spray painting and afterwards, he sat down and looked for 40 meter contacts on CW. It was Monday night novice rig night apparently.  After dinner and a bit of TV with the missus, I went out to turn things off in the shack. My brother had left and kept all the lights and rigs turned on.  I sat down on 40 and watched the computer screen to see what came over the transom on FT-8. There was a QRP station in Cuba calling CQ. I set my power to 5 watts and called and called with no luck. Actually, I just sat there watching, and the computer did most of the work. After that episode, I decided I needed to do something a bit more interesting, so thought I should check out 160 meter CW before I shut the K3 off.

I worked a few European stations with typical signal reports for a lackluster evening on 160.  I then saw RBN spots from Europe suddenly rise, so I tried a few CQs. I was answered by a rather weak but Q5 station from Russia. I answered him, but he did not return. A few more calls and he finally came back and gave me a very weak report. I had never heard this station before. I looked up his address after the QSO and was amazed to find that his location was just north of the border of eastern Mongolia. (Grid OO62!) He was about on the same longitude as Beijing, China!  Talk about a walk on the wild side! About 15 minutes later R8WF called me again and he was very loud and sent me a new report of 589! It was just after his Sunrise and the peak was awesome to say the least!  I am sure he was just as excited as I was to bag such an interesting QSO.  The direct path from me to R8WF is 360 degrees, or straight across the North Pole.  I am so glad that I had the opportunity to be there when the stars and planets had aligned so well. Such magic moments are treasured.

Dave K1WHS