I've often heard ATUs referred to as "beer goggles for your transceiver."

Ever since I read the first chapter in Reflections III by Walt Maxwell W2DU
(SK) I can well believe it.  ("Too Low an SWR Can Kill You.")

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 15:04
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Are external tuners really needed with Chamaeleon
antennas?

On 3/22/2021 8:24 AM, Jeff Grillo wrote:
> I have a kx2 with the internal tuner. I am guessing there is something
beyond my paygrade as to why this would not be sufficient?

Antenna tuners do not make antennas work better, they simply help the rig
provide power to the feedline by matching the feedline to the rig.
If the tuner is getting you below 2:1 for the antennas you use, the only
thing a different tuner will do is transfer money from your pocket to
someone else's.

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to r...@wc3t.us