From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 7:51 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Gurus

I must respectfully disagree sir...

The ordinary ham should be able to tell when his/her rig is out of spec.
  The ordinary ham should be able to operate his/her rig correctly.
That is just no longer the case.  There are a lot of folks out there that don't
even know how a repeater works at the most basic of levels.
They are operating HF rigs with no understanding of how they work, and no
understanding of what limits they need to maintain.

They create a mess on the air, and should be told about it.  Nicely, but told
non the less.  It is far better to have a fellow ham tell you you have an
issue, than have the FCC tell you...

Speaking of the FCC, I don't remember the FCC turning over responsibility for
signal quality to the manufactures of radios, absolving the operator of all
responsibility...  It is the operators job to make sure he/she is operating
their radio correctly, and within tolerance, period, end of discussion, the
operator is responsible.

If he/she can not tell there is a problem, than that ham should not be allowed
to transmit...

There are dirty transmitters all over, and they meet FCC specs...  How can that
be you might ask yourself?

In a lot of cases, the operator is not knowledgeable in how to drive the
transmitter properly, or that low voltages feeding the transmitter can cause
issues, or that triggering ALC in FT8 causes issues, there are any number of
settings the Amateur can screw up, and the rig meets FCC specs...

So no, it is not "out of line" to let someone know their transmitter is
spraying crap.

On 6/9/21 5:02 PM, Richards wrote:
> Anyone condemning other hams for using "dirty transmitters"  is simply
> out of line.
>
> The ordinary ham is NOT an Electrical Engineer and he buys his rig in
> good faith, believing it passed FCC and other engineering standards.
> He uses it in good faith, assuming it is OK and not causing problems.
> But then, a few self-appointed Frequency Cops condemn the poor
> operator as a bad citizen for using a "dirty transmitter"  as if the
> operator is somehow to blame.   I have worked a lot of contests with
> crowded conditions in a large metropolitan area, and nobody has ever
> whined about any of this, notwithstanding a couple of self-appointed
> experts living in the mountains of CA and CO claim it is a horrible epidemic.
> Besides, if this was such big problem why is it such a new, current
> topic? Supposedly, all those old rigs have been noisy all the time.
> I suspect it is topical only because they have nothing else to talk about.
>
> Well, even if it is a problem, there is no place for this sort of
> personal attack in ham radio, AND IT IS SIMPLY WRONG TO BLAME THE
> OPERATOR for how his rig works.   For most ops, ham radio is just a
> hobby and they are entitled to expect their radios will work right.
> Blaming the operator is simply out of line.   K8JHR

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
> d...@nk7z.net
Dave
https://www.nk7z.net