I'm an A op myself, for the reasons Gary k0cx so eloquently pointed out.

ED / W2RF

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Mike Morrow
Sent: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 12:40 PM
To: Gary Peterson <kzer...@gmail.com>; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] A or B?

Iambic mode B has the distressing characteristic of ending any iambic string
after the paddles are released with a dot (when the iambic string ended with a
dash) or with a dash (when the iambic string ended with a dot) for which there
had been NO paddle closure.

Mode A always ends an iambic string with only the dot or dash that was being
sent when the paddles were opened.

The paddle timing is more critical with mode B if an unwanted dot or dash is
not to follow paddle release.  .  Mode B often requires the paddles to be
released earlier, before the character has been completely sent.  Mode B
privides no reduction in the paddle manipulations required to generate any
character in exchange for its more critical timing.  Mode B is the legacy of a
logic fault in an early electronic keyer that became advertised as a feature.
Elecraft sets Mode A as its default because of its relaxed timing to do the
same things.

Whatever mode one learns, using the other mode will play real havoc when using
an iambic keyer.  Mode A guys get an extra dot or dash on some of their
characters, while mode B guys miss a dot or dash on some of their characters.
Under such circumstances I use a paddle-slap technique, treating the two
paddles as only one and never allowing both paddles to close simultaneously.

Unfortunately and inexplicably, almost all Asian-source radios allow ONLY mode
B for their iambic keyer.  That is why most hams are mode B users.  One could
argue that one should learn mode B simply because that is the only choice
allowed for incompetently designed ham gear.  I convinced the ARRL Product
Review manager years ago to add a declaration of what modes of iambic keying
are allowed by any radio under review.  I have rejected an Icom radio I really
wanted for no reason other than it allowed only mode B.  There is absolutely no
excuse for any radio to deny mode selection except designer incompetence or
laziness.  Elecraft has always supplied excellent iambic keying with choice of
modes.

BOTTOM LINE:  Mode A is more straightforward and easier to learn, but mode B is
the only mode the keyer in many radios will allow.  Neither mode offers any
advantage in terms of reduced paddle manipulation.

Mike / KK5F