I recommend choosing B, and use the iambic operation for every possible
character (anything that alternates).

Your friend will need to practice (a lot) before going on the air. It takes
some getting used to.

I can’t imagine using anything else.

> On Jul 6, 2021, at 10:34 AM, Gary Peterson <kzer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> An old friend, who has been inactive for several years, recently purchased a
> used K3.  This is the first transceiver that he’s owned that includes a built
> in keyer.  He has always operated CW with a straight key.  He has acquired
> Vibroplex paddles and wants to know whether to set the radio’s keyer for mode
> A or mode B iambic.  He has never used an iambic keyer or a bug, before.
>
> I learned iambic keying with a WB4VVF circuit board, back in the early 1970s,
> so mode B is what I prefer.  I know there are a lot of died-in-the-wool CW
> people who frequent this list and I would like any opinions as to whether it
> is easier for a newbie to learn iambic mode A or mode B.  I have no clue.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions that I can pass along.
>
> Gary
> KzeroCX

> Message delivered to aa...@arrl.net

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net