Keith KD1E wrote:

Well, I don't know enough to discuss this but it sure seems to me that
someone could come up with an R-4B style design using modern parts that
would be easy to build and pretty cheap.  Well, you'd think it would be
at least.  After all that rig was nothing more than a receiver that
could cover a number of 500 KHz bands and it did it pretty well.
Today's approach of using synthesizers has its drawbacks.  It may give
us more bells & whistles (memories, direct freq entry) but it brought a
bunch of issues that needed to be solved as well.

Methinks that a Direct Conversion receiver is worth considering with a pair
of robust mixers up front, preferably not diode rings, and with a premix
type of LO - bag of crystals or maybe a few crystals. You would probably
have to settle for 50 - 60db of unwanted sideband suppression in CW and SSB
modes if not using audio notching, but you get CW, USB, LSB, AM, and a form
of Binaural output. Bandwidth determined by filters at audio. All quite
simple.

Amen to your comment about synthesizers, although improvements are being
made.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD