This conversation has coincided with some decisions I have been making
radio-wise lately, FWIW.

Also being a member of the AM/Boatanchor croud, there always seems to be a big
push to get GC receivers.  But I was listening to a friend recently on the air
who has owned an R-390A for years (arguably the top of the top in (heavy) tube
receivers) and now and finds himself not using it at all, but instead using
what some would argue are lesser ham-band-only receivers.  And I started
thinking, how many GC receivers do I need (I already have a Drake R-8B w/ VHF
converter), given the dearth of shortwave broadcasts and the apparent winnowing
of shortwave proadcast content.

If I am going to be engaged in QSO's or monitoring my own signals wth a
receiver, I don't transmit outside the ham bands.  Ham-band-only receivers in
general are more stable, precise, quiet, simple, and affordable and a
comparably designed GC RX.

Don't get me wrong.  If Elecraft came out with a GC RX kit I would certainly be
in line to buy/build/use one.  But don't you think they are doing a stellar job
of supporting the QRP/CW/Builder communities with products we will want to
buy/build/use?  Do we really weant to encourage them to dilute their efforts
and loose their focus on who cares most about their products?  Many a company
has gone broke designing something that was agreed to be great but that few
bought because of the expense required to produce it.

I say good job to Elecraft.  I can't wait to see what you are coming out with
next.

David, K3TUE
.