On 4/21/2022 1:52 PM, turnbull wrote:
   It is not so long ago that the K3S and slightly different K3 were in
production.   Certainly not seven years for the K3S.    I am dissapointed with
Elecraft on this issue.

Hi Doug,

The K3 was first sold in late 2007-early 2008, designed around parts that were available at least by late 2006. The Elecraft K2 and K3 are modular designs; the K3S is K3 with some of those modules updated.

MANY years ago, I managed the service department of a large Chicago sound contractor. Repair-ability is strongly dependent on the availability of parts; the COST of a repair depends on the labor to diagnose the problem(s), the cost of repair parts, the labor to replace them, and the labor to do any needed alignment and testing.

It's not unusual for certain major parts around which a product is designed to go obsolete, be unobtainable, and for there to be no practical replacement. That happened to Ten Tec with their first solid state power amp, which was designed around newly developed Motorola devices. After only a year or two, Motorola found a fundamental problem with them, and discontinued them, with NO replacement. I bought one of those amps used, fully understanding the issue. It was a nice amp, well protected. I used it for a while in Chicago, eventually selling it after moving to W6.

Elecraft's modular design concept has contributed to making them a very good corporate citizen. You want to upgrade a JA radio, you sell it and buy a new one, and in the case of Yaesu, the second upgrade to their '90s flagship still didn't fix their very nasty clicks, and their newer generation of rigs that replaced them are holy terrors for clicks and splatter.

The average model cycle of JA radios is one half to one quarter that of the two K3s I bought in early 2008, and that are still in active use on my SO2R operating desk today. When the new K3S modules were available, I upgraded to the new synth boards and the new transverter boards. Both units have been repaired at least once. Eventually the time will come when failure of key parts will make them unrepairable.

73, Jim K9YC