Another aspect is static reduction.  That comes from wind, rain, dust, snow, anything that passes by the structure.  Shunt all to ground OUTside the building is the best approach.  (Base of the tower/mast and again at structure entry; make EVERYTHING at the same ground potential, inside and out.  When you take a hit, that potential rises, equally if all is done well; it's the difference in potential that harms.)

73,
Rick nk7i

On 7/28/2023 2:31 PM, Dr. William J. Schmidt wrote:
Even the methods in that book are considered sub-standard by the broadcast
industry...  The only think that is a sure bet is to completely disconnect your
radio and put it back in the shipping box.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ

email:  b...@wjschmidt.com

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2023 4:14 PM
To: j...@kk9a.com
Cc: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [OT] A dumb question about lightning

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiOk5PAqLKAAxUjEa0GHYmDBJgYABACGgJwdg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJORo_AZEAzrEwZh7d0CRaunieFV8dsSC3IDZqsPWbucgX_uNKQ&sig=AOD64_1qxgTjvgwY4_QbQuPW5KxSnoObmA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiEsI3AqLKAAxViAjQIHe9mC-UQ0Qx6BAgOEAE

Welcome to the Bible of grounding.   It’ll take several reads to grasp what you
have to do.

73,
Rick NK7I