On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 20:47:03 -0400, H. Cary III wrote:

>Will do when I return home...vistiting daughter in
>Philadelphia...hope to get to work on the K2 digital stuff next
>weekend...i did manage to turn on rtty in the secondary menu but
>tht's as far as I've gotten.  Only two responses so far...

  Well, after a lot of experimenting this weekend w/ the K2 at
  minimum power into a dummy load, I finally got it set up for
  BPSK-31 and actually made a QSO on 40 meters with a station in
  North Dakota, halfway across the country, w/50 watts into a
  lossy dipole.

  I have recordings of what the various modes are supposed to
  sound like, but I haven't found a source of what they are
  supposed to look like on the MixW waterfall display.   I have
  learned to recognize the BPSK-31 signals, though.  There are
  several that I see that I can't identify, and of course I
  recognize the big Navy encrypted syncronous RTTY signal on 5346
  kHz (60 meter band) which cannot be detected, let alone
  decrypted, by the usual stuff that we hams have, (I've heard
  that stuff for most of my ham and professional life) but it's a
  good 60-meter "beacon".

  The setup I stumbled across has a few things that are not
  intuitive and I don't know if this is the optimum setup  or if
  I missed something, but that's what the reflector is all about.
  I've taken the liberty of posting this to the reflector in case
  anyone there can help us get it set up "right".

  Enjoy the rest of the weekend, have a safe trip home, and we'll
  be in touch.

--
   73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
   Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402