John,

I had something similar happen to me a couple of days ago. I did not
experience the shut down you noted, but I did see the power setting flash on
the display and then after that when I hit the tune button it would not self
terminate (also did not hear the relays kick on the KAT100).

I did a shut down and turned everything back on but the tuning still
operated the same, in fact most of the bands had exceptionally high swr.

I found searching through the menu settings that the ATU setting was set to
CAL instead of AUTO. I don't know how it got changed (I did not manually
change it), I am assuming that when I saw the power flash on the display
that it occurred then.

Not sure what is occurring, but after setting the ATU back to AUTO
everything went back to normal and I haven't seen a problem since.

Dave
W9FGU