David,

First thing is to verify the probe.  Did the probe test give a correct
reading of 4 MHz when it was checked in the 3rd step on page 46 of the
manual?  Note that this only checks the operation of the probe and has
nothing to do with proper setting of the 4 MHz reference oscillator.

If your probe did NOT read the 4 MHz oscillator, look for the problem with
your probe - is it connected properly, the shield should be closest to the
left side panel when plugged in.

If your probe DID do the 4 MHz test OK, then let us know and we may be able
to help find the reason your VCO is not functioning properly.  Tell us what
test equipment you have available, and if you do not have an oscilloscope or
other means of reading RF Voltages, please build the RF Probe - parts are
provided with the K2 kit, see appendix E of the manual for the schematic.

73,
Don W3FPR