> Forgive me for asking a question below my license class, but this is
> something I've never figured out: Under what circumstances does an RF Gain
> control do me any good? I always operate my K2 with RF Gain fully
clockwise
> and use AF Gain to control volume. I've monkeyed with RF Gain but it
sounds
> like a second volume control to me.
>
> Craig
> NZ0R
=======================================
My thinking  is that it is the RF siginals that change strength so that is
where I like to control the gain.  This keeps the overall gain distribution
constant.  Keeping the level of the signals low prevents overloading the IF
filter and allows using the steepest part of the skirts to best advantage.
You also avoid the need to use the attenuator  control to prevent strong
signal overload.  These advantages are only fully utilized with a true RF
gain control.  Most modern rigs use IF gain post filter.   A possible
disadvantage if this is overdone is a degraded siginal to noise ratio,
probably only a problem on higher bands  without much QRN.  And, your S
meter won't work right.  The fact that you don't notice a difference between
AF and RF gain controls is due to the K2 being well designed, with great
siginal handling capabilities.
Rick  Dettinger
K7MW