Craig,

The RF Gain control is a device that can be effectively used when you
encounter a mixture of strong and weak signals in the receiver passband.

With the RF Gain at its full (normal) position, the strong signals will
activate the AGC and the weak signals will be reduced too and may not be
heard.  If the RF gain is reduced, the AGC action is not as strong and the
weak signals may be more readable.  Yes, the S-meter will not be correct if
the RF Gain is reduced, but if you are trying to listen to weak signals, the
reading of the S-meter is not really relevant, you just want to hear the
weak signal.

Strange as it may seem, when listening for weak signals, reducing the RF
Gain and increasing the AF Gain may work wonders.  Many old-timers will run
the AF Gain at the full CW position and control the volume level with the RF
Gain - we learned that with older receivers, but then the objective was to
limit the signal into the detector so the BFO would not be overdriven (AGC
was turned off) - with the advent of product detectors, the reason to
operate that way changed, but is still an effective technique - one can
leave the AGC on to help protect the ears from the really loud ones.

73,
Don W3FPR