There is a "service department" in the form of Gary Surrency
([EMAIL PROTECTED]). He will do whatever is necessary to get your
Elecraft rig working to factory spex, even to the extent of dragging in the
design engineers (usually Wayne or Eric) if needed to look at an issue.

Most issues are simple building mistakes that can be located with a little
troubleshooting help such as that found right here on the reflector.

Once in a while an issue shows up as builders do things a little differently
while building the kit or manufacturer's parts tolerances all add up in one
direction that might produce an unexpected result. It might be something
that shows up only once in a hundred or more kits. In that case the
engineers jump in to study the problem, why it happened, and decide what can
be changed in the design of the rig, the specifications for the parts or in
the documentation to prevent its happening again. That process is how some
of the modifications to the Elecraft kits have come about such as the recent
change to the KPA100 and, some years ago, the change to the I.F. filter
crystals and the addition of the PLL stabilization circuit in the K2. In
most cases, Elecraft then offers an "upgrade" kit for anyone who might want
to incorporate the changes into their rig, even if it's currently working
FB, so no one's rig ever need be "out of date" no matter how old the serial
number.

Gary gets rigs to "fix", but as far as possible the idea is for the builder
to fix it so he/she knows what happened and how to fix similar issues in the
future. Elecraft has demonstrated its commitment to ensuring that every
builder who seeks help gets it to get their rigs working correctly. I've had
the privilege of watching that process up close and it's impressive to see
the attention and effort given to get a builder's issues fixed quickly.

For those who are on the Internet (remember, some Hams don't mess with
computers) this reflector has always been the first place to go and most of
the problems are solved right here by the members of the list.

When a member does offer an idea, posting the message to the list instead of
sending it direct is important so everyone can see it. That's how others can
learn. It also saves the bandwidth of the same question being asked again
and again.

Of course, Don, W3FPR, is almost always right there with an answer and
suggestion based on his huge experience and knowledge of the Elecraft
products. Frankly, I get a kick out of noticing a question on a subject I
know about but which Don hasn't responded to yet and answering it, then I
check back later to see if Don had anything to add to my answer. Don's sort
of the pinnacle of Elecraft kit knowledge we all can strive to reach, and
probably won't, Hi! But anyone who has an answer or a question is encouraged
to post it.

There's an old saying that I've always found to be true: we teach what we
most need to learn.

Ron AC7AC