How low did you have your horizontal loop?  We always use a 2 wave or so one
for field day, (80m), but mostly use it on 40m and up to 15m.  It is always
only 20 feet high, as that is the limit of reach of our portable ladder.

We get great signal reports, and work all over the country from the Central
Southwest.

I have seen an 80m loop work less well than a dipole when low to a roof
containing a metal edging, which we put off to detuning and coupling issues.
We feed our loops with parallel lines, either 300 ohm window or 450 ohm
window line.

Stuart
K5KVH