Jerry, wa2dkg wrote:
The "blob" method requires only one step and should be done with high
heat...I used to use an old fashioned unregulated 40 watt iron for
this...Today I use a Hakko 808...There is no need to first scrape the
wire...The object is to burn the enamel off, and the heat of the iron and
the solder alone will do that..If the enamel won't burn, the iron is simply
not hot enough...Start as close to the core as possible...Put a blob of
solder on the tip, immerse the wire in the blob, and slowly work out towards
the tip of the wire, adding more solder as necessary...

That's my experience too, Jerry. I provided the link to the emtech video for
those who don't have an iron that goes hotter than 700F without turning off
the solder station, letting the iron cool, and changing tips. The scraping
trick they show allows the use of the cooler 700F iron.

I start from the end because I've noted that heating the wire does speed up
the burn-off rate. I work towards the toroid core. If your rig gets out
better than mine, we'll have to study the effect of the direction of tinning
on electron flow <G>.

Ron AC7AC