Based on the emails I have been getting, I apparently didn't state this well. I am VERY happy with the level of filtering that I have been getting from the K2 in CW mode. The ability to turn the AGC off and drill down with the filters has been a great improvement over the 718.

That being said, the next time I put the system on spectrogram, I am going to have a couple more tools available that I didn't have the first time around, and one of things I am going to be looking at is making the last two filters a little more narrow. I hope to do this without greatly attenuating the signal. Neither of these statements is meant to be a disparaging remark, merely a statement of what I hope to accomplish. One of the reasons I chose this rig, was because I can tailor the filters as I see fit.

I played with the SSB on 80m the other night, and didn't get the level of rejection of adjacent signal interference that I would have liked. That being said, I have NOT put the rig back on Spectrogram since setting up the SSB board. So my first assumption was that I have not done my due diligence, not any deficiencies with the rig.

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW
K2 #5982

David Wilburn wrote:
I have an 718 with the 250 Hz filter. That filter locks down things quite well, but it also allows "blow by" with large nearby signals that make things difficult also. In the short time I have been a CW op, the skill that Ron mentions is just starting to get to me. I have often been frustrated by other ops nearby. That is part of what drove me to the K2, was the many choices of filters.

I agree with Scott, in the since, that I am seeking a way to make that last filter have more isolation capability without further attenuating the signal. Now that I have a little bit better idea what is going on with Spectrogram, after I have all the pieces finished, I plan on making another pass with that while sending some tones through and seeing what kind of tweaking I can accomplish.

Scott, have you put your K2 through the Spectrogram alignments yet? I was not terribly impressed with the filters after the default settings were installed, but I was amazed after (several tries) I gave the filters a good alignment with Spectrogram.

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW
K2 #5982

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
I can't speak about the 718 or the Elecraft DSP, but in my experience such
"brick wall" filtering creates far more problems than solutions. A huge
amount of unwanted stuff is produced by signals on the sharp edges of such a filter that appear throughout the passband - much of it is that 'noise' you
mention.
I work 99% CW and my K2 is seldom set for less than 1.0 kHz bandwidth. My
minimum is 0.4 kHz used only when I get a "loudmouth" shouting from almost
on top of the signal I'm copying. That occasionally happens during a
contest, but that's about it.
I do have a skill that a great many experienced CW ops have that might be
the difference. We can copy easily with several signals within the passband. It's like listening to one voice in a crowded party; we just "tune out" the other babble going on around us unless it's something we want to follow. It only gets difficult if one nut starts shouting in my ear when I'm trying to
listen to someone else, Hi!
Ron AC7AC