On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 13:36 -0400, Dan Barker wrote:
> My very first Field Day was using the call AA4U for the CW tent. (Omni C,
> upside down Bencher for the southpaw, etc.). Interesting. I wonder what else
> in a call makes it MARS vs Southeast Amateur Extra?

Actually, I think the ARMY MARS callsign prefix is AAR then a number and
then a suffix.  So, chances are no one mistook your field day operation
for a mil station.  Especially not with the upside down bencher!

Regarding Thoms earlier question, most military comm planners *assume*
your equipment can operate on any frequency between 1.6 (maybe 2.0) and
30 MHz.  The equipment they are familiar with does exactly that.  They
don't think in terms of bands of frequencies but, rather, a multitude of
discrete channels within the HF spectrum.  Many of them are probably not
even aware there is equipment that isn't completely frequency agile.

73,
-Doug, W7KF