These guys have it right, from what I saw. In the US maritime service the
FCC kept increasing the rules for stability, signal purity, keying, etc.,
but the rules applied to when the equipment was manufactured, so an old
console that drifted and yooped was legal as long as it was still in
service.

Ship owners never changed out something that worked, so as long as the radio
console was repairable (and there wasn't anything that couldn't be fixed)
they kept the same old console.

On an old vessel in the early 1990's I found an ancient black RCA console.
If you've not seen a shipboard radio console, there are pictures of one
aboard a restored WWII cargo ship here:

 http://www.arrl.org/news/features/1999/0216/2/?nc=1

The vessel I was called to work on had been taken out of the "mothball
fleet" to haul supplies to the Persian Gulf during Gulf War I and my eye was
drawn to a little panel on the console marked "Crystal Detector" with space
for a galena crystal and cat's whisker! You see, all radio consoles had both
a main and a backup receiver as well as main and backup transmitters. At one
time that crystal set was the "backup receiver". The crystal was long gone.
The console had been "upgraded" to a regenerative receiver for use in case
the main superhetrodyne receiver broke down in an emergency, but the panel
to mount the crystal was still there.

That's why MCW was required for all emergency communications: crystal sets
don't have BFO's <G>.

Ron AC7AC