On Tue, 29 May 2007 14:01:56 -0700
"Ron D'Eau Claire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Much has been written on this reflector about the sound of the
> sidetone, particularly the K2's sidetone, and about stability and
> narrow band clickless keying, stable signals, with today's operators
> asking for razor-sharp selectivity in order to copy signals in a
> crowded band.
>
> Here are some recordings of actual COMMERCIAL CW maritime signals on
> the 600 meter (500 KHz) band from the 1970's in European waters
>
> http://www.n1ea.coastalradio.org.uk/W1DM_500_EU_74.zip

I've been listening to the various recordings here and enjoying them
enormously!

Can someone develop a K2 mod to give us (switchable) control of the CW
quality - I like the rich variety of signals on these recordings. The
bands these days sound a bit too perfect with all the T9X signals
around! I suppose moving a large PSU near the K2 should give the AC
modulation, how do we het the bullfrog on acid effect?

It's much easier to copy a rough, chirpy signal in the QRM because it
stands out from the norm.

Some of the fists on the recordings were "interesting" too!

I've just recalibrated my K2 filters to give me a widest CW filter at
1.5KHz so I can re-create the "wide open - hear everything" feel!

It's HF CW field day in Europe and sitting on 20m (albeit not in great
shape propagation wise) with a wide filter is great fun...

Cheers,

John GM4SLV