On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 06:08 +0000, Ken Kopp wrote:
> Was R/O on several USC&GS/NOAA ships and "hung out"
> at WPD in Tampa.  Lots of 400 - 500 kHz time.  Tx was a
> TBL with M/G set in the "basement". (:-)
>
> Anyone know where I could find an RCA 8506 ... or an 8510?
> Or the Mackay equivalent/s? Google doesn't even turn one up!

Yes, it is good to hear that stuff again.  I spent a lot of time sailing
as R/O in the late 1980s, running between Rotterdam and the USA east
coast.  500 KHz was fun.  Also spent a lot of time in the Med during
that era.  There were a kazillion of those tiny coastwise freighters and
all of them buzzing, chirping and honking away.  Heh..

Ken, I've got Mackay gear but it's more "modern".  3020A receivers out
of the MRU-35 console.  Even an 8050 transceiver which is still in
service on many of the MSC ships.  I sailed the USNS Mendonca in 2003
(part of OIF) and we had the 8050 on board.  Always liked the Mackay
stuff..

73,
-Doug, W7KF