[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
What normally happens is that you blow the auxbus, and end up with a dead radio. Since yours still works, you probably got away with it. Perhaps there was nothing connected to that pin on your cable.

That sounds like an accident waiting to happen!

Ideally Elecraft wouldn't have used a 9 pin D connector, but, as they
have, I think I may isolate that pin initially, maybe by not installing L1.

Some other thoughts were:

- connectorising the signal on the jumper cable;
- connectorising L1;
- inserting a back to back plug and socket into the D connector
  to isolate the non-standards lines.

It sounds like the other risky signal is the 12V one, but I think the
worst that happens is that the filter choke acts as a fuse.  It also
isn't at risk with normal RS232C signals, only with the ground
connection.  Is it worth trying to add a PCB mounting fuse?  Would the
voltage drop be too large?