On Jun 9, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

I have an Icom WM32A that I picked up in 1999. Works fine, when I can figure
out how to work it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bad user interfaces (UI). One of the problems is that, in the rush to add more and more 'features' to the radio, someone forgot to ask the users if they needed or wanted 'em at the expense of being able to make the radio actually work.

My favorite was an old Kenwood from the 1980's - all thumbwheel switches, FM
only and simple to operate. In a moment of madness I sold it.

I still have an IC-2A kicking around. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it as it just worked too well and I never forgot how to make it work no matter how long it had been since I picked it up.

I also have an Icom IC-T8A three-band handheld and an IC-706mkII. Both radios have their manuals sitting next to them as I can never remember how all the features work.

Most bad UI designs come from feature overload. Once you put a computer in the box the tendency on the part of programmers is to just keep adding little features just because they can. The other source of bad UI design is the desire to make the application "customizable".

BTW, I am keeping my IC-2A.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com