On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 03:59:57PM +0100, Julian G4ILO wrote:
> On 6/22/07, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Understood. It has been a long time since I was a serious phone or CW
> >contester, more S&P during a contest these days. Otherwise looking for "new
> >ones" from this QTH for fun not awards - been there! In this context I find
> >the K2's tuning rate not to be handicap but an audio monitor would be
> >useful, when using the K2/100 my only monitor is a spectrum analyzer. A
> >second built in receiver can also be useful for crossband split or search
> >if
> >the receiver's design allows for this.
>
> I'm glad I don't take radio too seriously, it sounds like you can
> never be satisfied with anything. :) I can't really see what's wrong
> with the K2's tuning rate, for voice. I find the 100Hz steps just fine
> for that.

Most desktop size HF radios allow at least 10 Hz tuning resolution at
10 kHz per knob revolution (that's what the Yaesu FT-1000MP does, for
example).  With the K2, you can get a 10 kHz per knob revolution at 100 Hz
tuning, or 10 Hz tuning at just 1 kHz per knob revolution.  100 kHz tuning
resolution just does not work when trying to quickly tune in a station
through QRM or difficult conditions, and having to turn the tuning dial
three or four complete revolutions to get to the next station up or down
the band is also not going to work.

I've tried replacing the optical encoder in the K2 with one that is higher
resolution.  If you go with one that has four times as many steps per
revolution as the stock encoder, you can have 10 Hz tuning resolution and
get 4 KHz per knob revolution.  While that is an improvement, it's not
quite enough, and if you turn the knob fast enough, you can outspin the
K2's CPU's ability to keep up (which sometimes results in you going
the wrong direction in frequency!)  Moving up to an 8x encoder will
improve things to 8 kHz per knob revolution, but then it's very, very
easy to outspin the CPU, and the radio become almost unusable.

Some more thoughts here:
http://www.wm5r.org/k2-100/encoders.shtml

>From what I've heard talking from those who have hands-on experience with
the K3 prototypes, all of these problems have been solved in the new radio.

>           As for an audio monitor, I've never found it helpful trying
> to listen to my own voice as I speak. I use another radio and record
> off-air using the computer, then I can play it back and listen
> properly. I can even make several recordings using different settings
> and pick the best.

I think an audio monitor is invaluable to a phone contester.  You can
always tell when your signal sounds OK and when it might be getting
rough due to unforeseen RF getting in the mic lines, some unexpected ground
loop problem, etc.  When doing SO2R with a voice keyer, it's extremely
helpful to know what you're transmitting so you can judge the timing of
your second radio activity.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]