It's possible that we'll rewrite the K3 Downloader software application in VB6, etc., so that .NET won't be needed. The only reason we use .NET now is that I'm a C programmer, and the quickest way for me to get the downloader working was to use Microsoft's C# programming environment.

NO - Please *not* in VB6! The only reason for this might be to support old versions of Windows, but for modern platforms there are better solutions, e.g. C#, VB.Net, etc. together with .Net technology. I want to be able to run the loader under systems other than Windows!

For a multi-platform solution with serial communication one ought to use the .Net System.IO.Ports classes, which according to Mono status <http://mono.ximian.com/class-status/mono-HEAD-vs-fx-2/class-status-System.html> are almost complete.

Also see the following <http://www.mono-project.com/HowToSystemIOPorts>.

In other words, serial communications should not really be a problem. I have not tried this in Mono yet.

If System.IO.Ports is in GNU's PNet, I don't know.

I do fair amount of .Net stuff at work, and it is one of the few Microsoft developments which I actually think is good.

vy 73 de toby
--
DD5FZ, 4N6FZ (ex dj7mgq, dg5mgq, dd5fz)
K2 #885, K2/100 #3248