No wonder I was being confused by all this - HEY, if you can access any of the 4 memories randomly, then it is no longer a 'stack'!

From what little programming I learned, a 'stack' is accessed only from the top - you stuff things into it, and then remove the topmost one, throw it away if that is not what you wanted and do it over again until you have the correct one. (OK, my mind goes back to the 8080 PUSH and POP instructions).

If it were me, I would have named them something like 'In-band memory' rather than 'Band Stacking Memory', but I guess there is some precedent for that name. In any case, I am glad that the K3 offers random access for these memories.

73,
Don W3FPR

Bill Tippett wrote:

W0YK:
 >No indication planned on the display.  You select the per-band memory you
want by tapping M->V followed by the appropriate M1-M4 button.  (Programmed
by V->M.)  Numbered memories 00-99 are global.

        I've got it now.  You directly access the desired stack
memory by choosing M1-M4.  So I would adopt a simple convention
M1 = CW, M2 = SSB, etc.  The stack in Orion was accessed by
pressing the band button with the 4-stack memory rotating in one
direction only.  The only way to tell which stack you were on
was to scroll through all 4.  Eventually (...after 3 years) they
added an ABCD indicator to the display.

 >How would you use an indicator?

        Given the way the K3 stack works I agree one is
unnecessary.  I also like being able to directly access
a stack memory with just 2 button presses, rather than
potentially using 4 presses via scrolling, as in Orion
and Omni VII.