Don Wilhelm wrote:
No wonder I was being confused by all this - HEY, if you can access any of the 4 memories randomly, then it is no longer a 'stack'!

From what little programming I learned, a 'stack' is accessed only from the top - you stuff things into it, and then remove the topmost one, throw it away if that is not what you wanted and do it over again until you have the correct one. (OK, my mind goes back to the 8080 PUSH and POP instructions).

If it were me, I would have named them something like 'In-band memory' rather than 'Band Stacking Memory', but I guess there is some precedent for that name. In any case, I am glad that the K3 offers random access for these memories.

Right on, Don. It is not a stack.

The implementation of "band-stacking resisters" in most of the available rigs today is that of a "circular queue", a first-in first-out (FIFO) mechanism that is only accessible in one direction from the starting point. I much prefer the Elecraft K3 random-access "array" of memories.

Gus Hansen
KB0YH