I think outlet sales would be a mistake.  I think places like HRO and
AES are not on a growth path.  Recall what happened with TenTec.

TenTec was made in USA and sold by HRO / AES.  Unfortunately, the rice
box stuff was routinely out selling the TT stuff.  There was some though
that HRO / AES were pushing the other stuff and not trying to sell TT
gear.  TenTec eventually began just selling their own stuff and I
figured it would be a short time until they were gone.

Well, they're doing pretty good now and have carved out a pretty good
share of the market.

In this internet age, is it just more efficient to go to the source and
buy it rather than go through a middleman.  With the Asian rigs it is
more difficult but with Elecraft here in the USA, buying directly from
them works.

Then there is the kit-oriented approach.  Kit makers sell directly
because there is a support issue that they have to deal with.  You're
going to call them directly anyway so you might as well buy from them.
Once the business is set up to do direct sales you might as well do all
your sales direct and that includes your finished products as well as
kits.  So I have a hard time envisioning Elecraft going to HRO or AES
for K3 sales when they're probably going to keep kit sales under their
own roof.

Of course, I could be wrong ... :-)

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -