John,

Congratulations on your decision.

Equip yourself with a set of flush cutters if you don't already have them - while diagonal cutters will be OK for the K2, flush cutters are required in a few areas of the KPA100 and several other options - overall they make a neater finished product.

If your eyes require it, get a god magnifier. You will likely need at least a magnifying glass to read the markings on the small capacitors - I use a small lighted handheld magnifier for that, but I do not like using a magnifier for soldering - I am fortunate that my eyes will allow that, yours may prove otherwise.

A good #1 Phillips screwdriver, a small flat bladed screwdriver and small long nose pliers are good things to have. There are many other 'helper' tools, but most of my building is done with just the soldering station, a couple screwdrivers, my flush cutters and small longnose pliers. a hemostat type clamp is handy for securing small objects (like crimp pins) while they are being soldered.

I suggest that you get an anti-static mat and a wrist strap if you do not have one already. ESD is a 'sneaky' thing that can reduce the useful life of active solid state components.

Above all, have fun, use what works best for you, and don't stress about the rest - each of us has our own way of working, and while we can say what works for us, you will have to develop your own techniques - many folks really like board holders, but I find them cumbersome.

73,
Don W3FPR

John Huggins wrote:
OK so I have decided to buy the base K2 kit and build it along with my
son; He needs to see a process like this unfold.

I have read the various FAQs, tips, etc.

I am not new to kit building.

We have a good soldering station.

If the K2 works out well we will use it on CW for a while and then add
enhancements: SSB first then others (perhaps DSP, 160M, 60M-Xvrter,
100Watts)..

Are there tools or tips I am missing before I drop the coin?