I had exactly the same experience as Roel and reached the same conclusions. I agree that a commercial BALANCED autotuner would be the best solution for an all-band dipole, if there were such a thing.

Like Roel, I attempted to use a KAT2 and balun arrangement for all- band feeding of a simple dipole at the center with open wire line. I put the balun right at the output of the KAT2--no coax at all. However, both with actual measurements and with simulations using dipole3.exe, I could find no combination of feedline length and antenna length for my QTH that would present an acceptable match for the balun (either 1:1 or 4:1) on all bands. High reactance was usually the problem, although in some cases the overall impedance was too high for the tuner. With the best of compromises, I determined from measurements that on some bands about half of my power was heating the balun. True, that's only 3 db, about half an S unit. However, it's like degrading my KPA100 to 50 watts, and not many of use would accept that. The KAT2 alone, with balanced lines connected to the SO239 and ground, didn't have sufficient range to match some bands, and the balance was terrible on others. Maybe I'm overlooking something, and I'd sure appreciate a response from someone with difference experience or more knowledge.

Before getting my KAT2 I used a link-coupled tuner I'd built, and it would match anything with high efficiency and excellent balance. But band changing with plug-in coils was a pain. Then, like Roel, I acquired an MFJ-974H balanced tuner, and I am also most pleased with the results. I built a twin current meter to measure balance in the feedline, and balance and efficiency is as good with the MFJ tuner as with my link-couple tuner. I can tune the MFJ tuner for a new band in a few seconds from a chart of settings I developed. Also, I keep a noise bridge in the antenna line, with capability to switch it in when I want it, and that will allow a quick fine tuning (a couple seconds, usually) without transmitting on the air.

However, it would be so nice to have a wide-range balanced autotuner. I couldn't find one on the amateur market.

Dick, K0KK