Keith, I think your assumptions are pretty close to the mark. 6 is
mostly closed except during the summer months when there are
occasional sporadic-E openings giving 59++ contacts over distances up
to 1,000 miles (sometimes more, with double-hop) even when using low
power. As the name suggests, these openings are completely
unpredictable, except they occur during a season of a couple of months
or so centered around mid-June, and more often than not occur during
the day when most people are at work. They are great fun when you
catch one, though.

The number of sporadic-E openings in a year doesn't seem much affected
by the solar cycle. Regular openings like you get on the lower bands
obviously are, but the MUF is rarely high enough to support 6m
propagation even during the solar maximum, so even when 10m may be
workable, 6m often is not. You do have to be dedicated and watch for
such openings to catch them, even more than for sporadic-E.

The same effort put in to 10m probably would produce more QSOs, though
I've often found 6m busy during a Sporadic-E opening when 10m is dead.
That may be because 6m has its own dedicated fans, many of whom only
work VHF. To them, the kind of distances workable via Sporadic-E are
DX, whereas to the HF DXer they are short skip, local and not very
interesting.

--
Julian, G4ILO K2 s/n: 392  K3 s/n: ???
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com