If this is too far off normal topics on this band, please respond directly.

Tnx
N2TK, Tony
#3481 K2
Batch #1 K3

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill W5WVO
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:16 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] 6 meters - need info (OT?)

Ken Kopp wrote:

> Six tends to peak near the Spring and Fall equinox because
> of the earth's tilting towards the sun at these times.

Probably a typo, but should be corrected.  :-)  6M sporadic-E propagation
peaks around the SOLSTICES (June and December), not the equinoxes. There is
rarely ever any sporadic-E propagation around the equinoxes.

The summer Es season in North America typically runs from mid-May through
mid-August, with the southeast US getting some early sporadic-E openings by
late April. The winter Es season, in which the openings are typically less
numerous and weaker than during summer, extends from roughly late November
through mid-January. Sporadic-E can occur at any time, but it is extremely
rare from mid-February through mid-April and from mid-September through
mid-November in North America.

There is a tremendous amount to be learned about 6 meter propagation. It is
the only band we have where ALL known radio propagation modes (and probably
few unknown ones) can be experienced at one point or another. It is truly a
mix of HF and VHF characteristics.

Bill / W5WVO
DM65