There are two different types of night vision. Light amplification and thermal imaging. Since the power company used IR to find the problem, the devices used were likely thermal imaging devices. Light amplifiers must have some light to work, and I don't believe they pick up thermal emissions. Many consumer devices are light amplifiers.

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW
K2 #5982

Leigh L Klotz, Jr. wrote:
Fred,
Was this at night? Do you think consumer grade ones would work?
Tnx es 73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU