Actually, a swept spectrum analyzer is a very difficult machine to use for tracking noise, unless the sweep is triggered with the power line zero crossing.

If you look at a pulsed waveform from broadband noise with a spectrum analyzer in free run mode (the normal operating mode) you may see some noise spikes drifting around, perhaps moving to the left on the screen; perhaps moving to the right. In the worst case, where the law of perversity applies, the spectrum analyzer's sweep rate will be such that no spikes are seen.

If the noise is power line generated and hence has a rep rate of 2X line frequency, then switching the SA to line synch mode will cause the spikes to stand still.

The reason for these effects is that a the spectrum of the gap-discharge noise is a line spectrum.

If you hook an oscilloscope to a broadband receiver (such as the output of a Z10000 buffer amplifier on a K2's post-mixer stage) and if the interference is strong enough and the scope has enough gain (or an auxiliary broadband amplifier is employed) and you set the scope trigger to the power line, you can often see the RF pulse produced each multiple arc and ringing. (The arcs are extinguished every half-cycle in the ordinary case.)

If one were to go about an effective noise blanker, I believe you could do much worse than building a new version of the old Collins approach -- a broadband receiver tuned to 30-35 MHz to detect noise and then a fast gate (with suitable delay for synchronization) to clip the received signal.

The tunable subtraction units have, in my experience, highly variable effectiveness. I have one here and there are some noise sources that it will work with, but far more that it does not.

My experience is that most power companies will fix problems, but they are often not well equipped or staffed to locate problems. The tools of the trade include a wide band receiver in a vehicle, a hand held AM receiver in the 200 MHz band with a built-in yagi, and an ultrasonic receiver with a parabolic dish.

In the vehicle, drive around listening to the noise, and keep increasing the frequency as the higher the frequency, the shorter the distance over which it can be heard. If you are fortunate, this will localize it to a few poles (in really severe cases, you can hear the noise up to 600 or 800 MHz). Then, the hand held 200 MHz AM receiver and ultrasonic receiver are used to locate the specific pole or insulator.

Like most things, it takes a bit of practice and experience, but the noise sources can be found. In my case, it took Dominion Resources 10 years to find and fix the problem that made it impossible for me to operate below 10 MHz, unless it rained. It turned out to be an arcing wavetrap on a 500 KV line, at a substation perhaps 5 miles from where I live. The 500 KV line runs about 800 feet in back of my antenna and Dominion's EMI techs kept looking for the problem on the transmission line near my house. After the main EMI boss retired, one of his former technicians was promoted and started the hunt from the beginning and zeroed in on the substation.

Jack K8ZOA
www.cliftonlaboratories.com

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
Perhaps something like the business end of an Evasive Noise Blanker? Jack's PAN box would be a great addition for hunting the rubbish.

73,

Geoff
GM4ESD

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill NY9H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>