Vic,

You are entirely correct - and I have long advocated thinking about the
'ground' terms separately.  It should be common knowledge (but it isn't)
that one 'ground' can be at a different potential than another 'ground'.  I
learned early in my hamming days because we often referred to 'chassis
ground' which was a common wiring point and often had nothing to do with any
earth ground.  (That was before the time of the 3 wire wall outlets!!!)

73,
Don W3FPR