Yes, I fear that many hams do not realize how much loss is being introduced by their tuners. It has been stated that MFJ makes good tuners, but my experience with their MFJ-963D and the MFJ-971 tuners say otherwise - the inductor is mounted too close to the enclosure which reduces the inductor Q and thereby reduces the efficiency. BTW, there is no real need to have the tuner inside an RF proof enclosure, a tuner will not introduce harmonics or other spurious responses that have been adequately suppressed by the transceiver - a tuner built on a plain wooden board will work just great. The fact that there are tuners and then there are tuners is true indeed. The easy to manufacture T network tuners can have multiple setting combinations that produce a low SWR at the input, but many of those combinations will have a high loss factor due to RF currents circulating through the inductor. This is a recognized problem with the easy to implement T section tuners. The PI section and L network tuners do not have that ambiguity, but the only PI section tuner that I know of is the old Collins tuner - it is almost as efficient as the classic link coupled tuners, but due to the range of practical variable capacitors, its matching range is limited - the L network tuners similar to the Elecraft design are much more flexible and have a wide matching range.

Every tuner design has its limitations. The T section, L network, and PI network tuner designs are nothing more than a transmission line section implemented with lumped components - the limits are defined by the range of adjustment for each of the components, and bandswitching with these designs is not difficult although the Pi network tuner does have limitations due to practical capacitor values. Iin bandswitching tuners, the L network is the most efficient - the Elecraft tuners all use the L network configuration.

The link coupled tuner is usually the most efficient, but does not lend itself easily to bandswitching (the Johnson Matchbox is one link coupled bandswitching design that works well, but even it has a limited matching range). When the going gets tough, I fall back onto the classic link coupled tuners - they are the most efficient by far, but the use of plug-in coils for bandswitching is a drawback to many hams. With renewed interest in low loss tuners, it may be time to accept the reality that efficiency must be sacrificed for the convenience of bandswitching designs. Unfortunately, there is no one correct answer, each situation must accept its own consequences. I myself use the KPA100 in the shack for fine tuning of my coax fed resonant antennas at power levels up to 100 watts and an MFJ-962 tuner for times that I add the linear. It is a compromise, but it does work well for me. Since I cannot have open wire line coming into the hamshack, any link coupled tuners must be fixed tuned and located remotely (relay switched). That is not fully implemented yet, but is in the planning stages.

73,
Don W3FPR

Darrell Bellerive wrote:
The big problem as I see it is that those who buy the tuners don't realize the tradeoffs they have gotten. After all it tunes to a 1:1 SWR and contacts can be made, so it must be working well. The reality could be quite different.